The IEI is a natural outgrowth of the work of the Foundation, as it takes the practice-centered work of the Casa de los Tres Mundos and connects it to a rigorous academic environment to promote the philosophy of the Foundation and the following mission:
- Promote human welfare, cultural diversity and environmental sustainability.
- Support engagement between international and local forms of knowledge.
- Foster interdisciplinary research and interaction, with an emphasis on the humanities and social sciences.
- Facilitate research opportunities for national and international investigators.
- Promote dialogue between academic researchers and social advocates.
- Develop practice-centered research excellence in Nicaragua.
- Disseminate knowledge production derived from the Institute’s activities and participants.
The IEI will operate in a geographic and cultural environment that is particularly apt to, and in special need of interdisciplinary, practice-centered research. Situated in Nicaragua, which has experienced some of the 20th century’s most significant political, social and cultural transformations and struggles and where, today, global and local changes appear in their sharpest relief, the Institute presents an ideal crossroads for meeting these challenges. The IEI will be able to relate international and national research directly to local initiatives through the Casa de los Tres Mundos‘ longstanding and diverse development praxis. As such, it will channel existing but dispersed research and promote a dialogue of international significance to develop actionable solutions based on academic expertise and operational experience in the field while challenging international researchers to engage local forms of knowledge and the quotidian realities of local life.